20 pax posted on a rather muggy morning to help Gravedigger & YHC celebrate their 1 year anniversary with F3. As YHC pulled up in the parking lot at about 5:15, it seemed very weird to only see one car (We gotta get Stridelite back up and running….pun intended), but in true Shawshank fashion the headlights started pouring into the parking lot and Gravedigger and YHC had a plan that hopefully made the early morning trip into the gloom worthwhile.
Weather: 68° and humid
Disclaimer & Prayer
Mosey over bridge…..check that…..let’s bear crawl over the bridge to the lower soccer field
Thru the tunnel x12IC
Imperial Walkers x12IC
LBAC x12 forward, x12 backerds, OH Claps x12IC
Mosey over to the hill for some BLIMPS (all trips up the hill backwards)
- Burpees x5
- Lunges x10 (this made for an interesting trip back up the hill)
- Imperial Walkers x15
- Merkins x20
- Plankjacks x25
- SSH x30
Mosey to the brickpile and get yourself a block. This may have been the wettest run in the history of Shawshank. Based on the amount of water we ran through YHC estimates the sprinklers had been running non stop for the last 72 hours.
- Line up on the goal line and run to 1st pole with block overhead. 15 incline merkins on block
- Run to 2nd lightpole with block overhead. 15 decline merkins on block (those with good timing remained dry, others did not fair as well. Love those Shawshank sprinklers)
- Run to 3rd lightpole with block overhead. 15 incline merkins on block
- Rinse and repeat same cadence back to the original goal line.
- P1 sprint across field to top of hill, sprint back
- P2 LBCs
- P1 karaoke across field to top of hill, karaoke back (quite possibly the longest karaoke in history)
- P2 Russian Twist
Retun blocks & mosey to Shelter – Field Goal mentioned something about wet grass on the way back, and wet grass always makes me think of bear crawls, so let’s do that back across the bridge
- Dealer’s Choice Mary for anyone who hasn’t Q’d……or Gravedigger had the next exercise (hint: it rhymed with slurpies)
- Ponzi – Flutter Kicks x24
- Baby Daddy – Merkins x12
- Hot Spot – Boat/Canoe
- Watson – SSH x12
- Genie – LBCs x12
What I’m going to type here is nothing that hasn’t been said hundreds of times about F3 and what it means. The 1st F is the lure, but YHC quickly realized that the 2nd F had so much more meaning. Like many others I had done the gym, ran, bought the latest workout from a Sunday morning infomercial, but none of that stuck. Was it because I didn’t want to be in better shape physically….nope, but there was no one there to hold me accountable and I was well versed at this point in life making excuses. Each of my attempts started strong but inevitably led to me stopping what I was doing and having some great excuses (in my mind). When I first came out I struggled mightily and was already starting to formulate my exit strategy (it’s too hard, I need to get in shape first, it’s too early, blah, blah, blah). I think when it really clicked for me was when Ken Doll floated out a Tweet to see if there were some people interested in running before bootcamp. Against all rational thinking (I was only about a month into F3 & was barely surviving bootcamp) I HC’d and showed up the next morning at 4:55a. I think we only knocked out about 2.5 miles, but this was when the 2ndF kicked in and I got to know these guys as more than just a guy beside me doing exercises. From that point, friendships emerged and I was hooked.
In less than a year I have gone from struggling to complete a 45 minute bootcamp & almost dying at Stride (that may be a slight exageration, but it wasn’t pretty) to completing 2 Mud Runs, the P200 and probably being in the best shape of my life since high school. Although I have reaped the benefits from the 1stF, the 2ndF by far means more to me. It keeps me coming back and filled a void that I didn’t even know existed. I encourage each of you to continue pushing yourself, and getting better, with the 1stF; but focus that same effort on the 2ndF, it will reward you 10 fold.
Thank you to all of the pax, especially those at Shawshank, for pushing me and helping me #getbetter at all 3Fs. I look forward to seeing what year 2 brings.
- Jailbreak 5k 5.23.15
- Test run tomorrow (5/20) at 5a. Meet in the parking lot at Sheriff’s Dept.
- Gauntlet continues
- Sweet Baby O 5k 8.1.15
- Stomp The Swamp 8.29.15
- Shawshank start @ 6:45a this Saturday (5/23/15)
- Ponzi – Friend passed away last night
- Walker travelling back to Duke
- Gravedigger – Wayne and David