The Weather: 24 degrees, need I say more?
8 Pax braved the sub-freezing temps on this fine morning to get better and get faster. YHC posted the two route options last night on Twitter so everyone wouldn’t have to rely on YHC’s splainin’. The shorter of the two routes is a nice 3.8 mile loop, that I named the Shawshank Boot, starts up the monster of a hill that is Hendrix Rd. Swinging left on Duffie and into the Shawshank parking lot. Looping around the lower soccer field path and back out of the parking lot to swing right onto Gibson. After a Left on Elm and another nice hill to tackle the Pax had a downhill shot to the shovel flag to finish strong. Total ascent 76 feet.
The Shawshank Boot: http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/627688590
The longer route measures 4.8 miles and is named El Toro after its bull-like shape. Also starting up Hendrix mountain and after a short hop onto Barr Rd. over to Satcher Rd to make a loop around Pond View Ln. and cutting over to Gibson and back to Church for an up and down to finish fast to the shovel flag. Total ascent 192 feet.
El Toro: http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/627684976
- Excellent effort by the Pax. A couple of alternate routes were taken but everyone returned to the flag shorter of breathe and better for it.
- T-Claps to Candy Stripe for pushing hard at the end to overtake the Pax on the long route and for leading the closing prayer at BOM.
- My running tip of the week is: SLOW DOWN. I know what you’re thinking, this is coming from the guy who always has to be first. But just because I don’t listen to good advice doesn’t mean I can’t give it. I have struggled with this over the last year as my increased training has allowed me to run faster, it seems like I always want to run fast. You will benefit the most from long and slow runs. At least 80% of your runs should be between 2 and 3 minutes per mile slower than your 5K race pace. time on your feet at any pace is better than time on your butt. Get out there and run slow and you will be healthy to run again tomorrow.
- Anyone interested in running the trails at HSF this Sunday can email me at [email protected] or DM me on Twitter. I plan a extra slow walk/jog/stretch for about an hour with the pup and the M so we are talking about a 13 min/mi pace. After that will be a 2+ hour adventure that will cover most of the trails at an 8:30 to 10 min/mi pace. If you want to join the fun I am flexible as far as time or pace or route.
- Convergence at Snake Pit TOMORROW with Go Run 5k after
- Make My Day 5k/12k 2/14
- Lexington Race Against Hunger 2/28 5k/10k
- Mud Run pre-blast is live, get your teams together and send info to No Show. Lexington is the host region this year.
- Pax training for P200 and F3’s first custom GORUCK Heavy in March
- Convergence at Graveyard for 1-year anniversary 3/7, goal is to have 180 pax.
- GORUCK Custom Light w/ F3 and FiA 5/1