YHC had eyeballed the basketball goals at Ambush before and thought that might make for a good setup for a toy workout. The only way to find out was to sign up and make it happen. Today was the day.
7 for 3-4 miles of SL. Weather was nice but could have been a little cooler. A few minutes before 5:00 we were gathering around when we noticed a car coming around the “front” loop. Well the loop turned into a straight away when the car went up and over the curb, through the grass, and onto the back road where Ambush parks. Out comes Ghost Rider who says he missed the turn. Writing this backblast I noticed he was a FNG last Tuesday, so we’ll have to cut him some slack as he finds his way around the AO.
1 minute warning, no FNGs, disclaimer, prayer
Follow me to the basketball courts. The PAX started making comments when they saw some unusual things laying around (a bucket, a sandbag, a rope among other things).
Before SL I had laid out a course with 4 stations that had 4 exercises each. For the warmup we gathered at each station, performed the warmup, and I explained the exercises for that station. The warmups were:
- Station 1 – 10x Side Straddle Hops
- Station 2 – 10x Imperial Walkers
- Station 3 – 10x Air Squats
- Station 4 – 10x Monkey Humpers
After the warmup we went back to the center where we split off into 4 groups. Each group would go to a station, do the exercises, and move to the next station. The stations were clockwise (1,2,3,4). But to move to the next station, we would run counterclockwise (1,4,3,2) to get some extra running in and help spread the guys out. Each exercise had a base number of reps plus the lap you were on. For example a “5+” exercise had 5+1=6 reps on lap 1, 7 on 2, etc. We managed to get 2 laps in total.
- Station 1
- 3+ Ball Pullups
- 10+ Ruck Squats
- 5+ Ball Leg Lifts
- 10+ Ruck Front Lat Raises
- Station 2
- 5+ Ring Dips
- 10+ Ring Inverted Rows
- 10+ PVC Merkins
- 5+ Ring Decline Merkins
- Station 3
- 10+ Ruck Overhead Presses
- 10+ Handle Alternating Chest Touches
- 5+ Ruck Burpees
- 5+ Handle Merkins
- Station 4
- 0+ Rope Climb
- 5+ Sandbag Clean and Press
- 5+ Rope Inverted Rows
- 15+ Sandbag Shrugs
Each ruck had a 45# plate inside. The sandbag was 60#. The rings were gymnastic type rings hanging from the goal post. The handle was a flat grip handle hanging. The rope was a 1-1/4″ rope hanging. The balls were your choice of baseball or softball grip hanging.
Between the two rounds, we met back at the center for 50x 4-count Flutterkicks. I had planned 50 (for Squatter and my recent 50th birthdays) – which we did. I didn’t hear it but someone must have said “bet you won’t do 50” around the 20th rep. Hopefully no one was disappointed.
- We need mentors. 30 minutes per week is all it takes. See Ken Doll
- Today is Po’s birthday – message board beware!!!
- 9/26: this Thursday, Ambush is converging at CAT for the IPC #4 workout
- 9/27: this Friday, Donut Run meeting at Home Depot parking lot
- 10/1: Ambush converging at new Beechwood AO launch
- 11/16: John Flanagan Memorial 10k. https://lexingtonhalf.com/pages/race-10k.php
- 2/15/20: Dam to Dam Relay. Register here: www.damtodamrelay.com
- 3/27-3/28: Palmetto 200
- None requested