We had a great crowd at BeechHouse today, more PAX than YHC has Q’d in a while. It’s always great to see what these men have grown this place into over the last couple of years. YHC is thankful for the brotherhood here and glad to know most of these men, while getting to know everyone.
Today was all about the upper body as we have several PAX getting ready for Dam to Dam and the P200. It’s crucial that we start early for beach season too. The Weinke looked awful on paper and was even worse when executed. The arms are shot for the next two days. YHC experimented with some new exercises he saw on a workout video during his quarantine. These may have to make their way around the west side in the upcoming months. Good times and some laughs were present as always, though. Looking forward to Qing again here next month.
Here is what we did today.
Conditions: Mid 40’s; Partly Cloudy
Go grab and block and head to football field
COP all IC:
- SSH x 10
- Alternating block Merkins x 10
- LBAC x 10 each way
- AB Merkins x 10
- TTT x 10
- AB Merkins x 10
Notes on exercises
***Dolphin Merkins: Starting in a low plank position, raise your rear end in the air to form an upside down “V.” Move your body forward until you can touch your nose to the ground. Move back up to an upside down “V.” That’s one.
***Over/Under: With your right arm in a curl position, place your left hand over top of your right hand. Pull up with your right arm and push down with your left arm for one minute. Switch sides and rinse and repeat to complete the cycle.
Line up on goal line
- Grab a block and overhead carry to mid field. Do 25 shoulder presses. Carry block overhead to the far end zone and do 25 more SP.
- Once all PAX have made it to the goal line, over head carry block to mid-field and do 25 curls
- Overhead carry the rest of the way back and do 25 more curls.
- At goal line, Bear crawl to mid-field and do 25 diamond merkins
- Bear crawl the rest of the way to the far end zone and do 25 more DM
- Mosey to midfield for Dolphin Merkins x 25
- Mosey to end zone for 25 more Dolphin Merkins
- At end zone, Overhead carry block to midfield and do 25 tricep extensions
- Overhead carry block to far end zone and do 25 tricep extensions
- Carry block on shoulder to mid field and do 100 LBC
- Carry block all the way back to original end zone
Gassers Beatdown (all exercises are done as a group):
- At end zone: block merkins x 25, incline x 25, decline x 25
- 100 yard gasser and back
- At end zone: block dips x 25, over/under x 1 minute one side, rinse and repeat for other side, bent over rows x 25
- 100 yard gasser and back
Return blocks and mosey back to flag
- 2/3 – 2/5: Miles for Mark; Gilbert Middle 6th grader recently diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma. Goal is to run 500 miles as a group to raise money for medical bills. See link: https://runhard.org/pages/race-miles-for-mark.php?fbclid=IwAR3ZOZqFkvuAXG8QBg7ieY4O9ysbme_DkBZ58CbrTWU1oiGABBZ4n_uX818
- 2/20: Dam to Dam still needs volunteers
- 3/19-3/20: P200 (get with Bing if interested in being an alternate)
- No show
- Kiffin’s mom in the hospital with Covid related issues
- Lego’s family
“Having your needs met is far greater than having your wants met.” ~some random 42 year old Lexington PAX
YHC is still dealing with disappointments at work and is trying to mentally push through it. He still isn’t in a good place, but if he stops feeling sorry for himself, he can overcome. He thought about a recent sermon from his church that laid out some important things to consider when facing adversity:
- Think “best is yet to come.” This can be a huge motivator.
- During training for races, etc, when tired, think “higher power” or “Christ is with me” and try to remember that He is there with you. This can be used for dealing with adversity as well.
- Mental toughness is important. Mind over matter can play a huge part in keeping you in a good head space during adversity.
- Thinking “I can’t” turns into “I won’t” so don’t fall into the trap. You can do all things through Christ.
YHC is also angry and is trying to find a way to deal with that as well. Again, look to the Bible for inspiration and lean on those around you that you trust. Here are some verses he found:
- Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters: You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry. Human anger does not produce the righteousness God desires. -James 1:19-20
- And don’t sin by letting anger control you. Don’t let the sun go down while you are still angry, for anger gives a foothold to the devil. -Ephesians 4:26-27
- But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth. Put on then, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:8, 12-13