10 pax posted in sub-freezing temps for the quarterly #SpurStrike convergence. YHC had a game of Hold ’em planned, but the #Spur pax revolted and a game of Ultimate broke out. #ClusterQ
Conditions: 29, frosty and clear
COP: One lap around the school
Circle up on the front porch where YHC has a deck of those special F3 cards and some rules printed out:
- Dealer picks the ante (1 exercise of your choice)
- Dealer deals hole cards and the flop
- Pax do the exercises showing on the table
- Numbers +10 reps, faces 25, aces 100
- Next player bets with an exercise (example: 5 merkins)
- Pax fold, call, or raise (“I see your 5 merkins & raise you 10 LBC”)
- If you fold, you do SSH until the hand is done
- Dealer deals 4th street and the river; pax do exercises on cards
- 1 more betting round
- Losers do the exercises in the bet (5 merkins + 10 LBC + etc + etc). Winner holds plank
- Deal goes to the next player
After a couple hands of this (including one where @Chyna bet 40 burpees and won), it became clear that 1) 10 pax was too many for a poker game; 2) it was too cold to sit around a deck of cards; and 3) the rules were too confusing. Feel free to use them if you want to try it yourself sometime though. Your mileage may vary.
The pax suggested dealing just 2 hands and playing #DawnStrike vs. #Spur. This seemed like a good idea until #Spur bet 30 minutes of Ultimate and won. @Biggie had brought a disc and cones in case YHC fartsacked (really?) so Ultimate it was. This did not go well for #Spur at first as they didn’t count on @Oscar’s blazing speed and ridiculous passing skills, but they overcame a 3-goal deficit to win 6-5 (or was it 5-4) at the buzzer.
BOM & COT
- Keep it simple. If you have to print a page that has anything more complicated than a list of exercises on it, you’re probably overthinking the workout. YHC’s been guilty of this more than once.
- Listen to the pax. A little bit of #grumblechatter is normal. A lot of it (even at #DawnStrike) means something isn’t working and you should probably call an audible.
- Don’t be offended if the pax revolt. Take the feedback in stride and use it to #GetBetter. Check out this quote from Andy Stanley: “Leaders who refuse to listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing significant to say.” The revolt was clever and YHC played a ton of Ultimate in college, so no harm done.
Pray for the pax of @F3Haiti.