Based on the success (no one died or got dysentery) of our assault on Sassafras Mountain earlier in the year, another backpacking adventure is in the works!
This time, we’ll head north to the wilds of that “other” Carolina to summit “the Beast of the East” Mount Mitchell. Towering at nearly 6,700 feet, Mount Mitchell is the tallest peak in the Appalachians and east of the Mighty Mississippi. While we won’t need any ropes or belaying gear, expect a trip that will push you physically and mentally. You’ll be rewarded with fantastic views, fresh mountain air, and an opportunity to disconnect and hang out with your best F3 buds.
We are still working up the specifics, but most importantly a date for the event has been decided (Friday, July 31st to Sunday, August 2nd).
We’ll depart from the Irmo area likely mid-day on Friday, July 31st and camp that evening on or near the mountain.
We’ll be hiking Saturday, August 1st and camp again that night likely on or near the mountain. We’ll return to the Midlands on Sunday, August 2nd. Arrival time back on Sunday evening is TBD at this point, but assume you are getting back after dinner for now (could be earlier).
What you need to do
1. Mark your calendar’s and HC through Twitter to Fool’s Gold @F3_Fools_Gold or Joanna @ejulian. Primary reason we want you to HC to us is so we can coordinate travel and communicate.
2. Spread the word to your AOs, and to any potential FNGs or that brother you haven’t seen in a while.
3. Stay tuned to the twitters for more details on our route, parking plans, etc. Depending on where we camp and park, there could be a nominal fee per PAX to cover that.
4. Get your gear together – each pax is responsible for their own food, water, other beverages, tents, sleeping bags, and any other camping gear or #accoutrements they desire.
5. Let us know of any questions on any of the above or below.
Some questions you may have
Can I bring a friend? – Aye! This would be a great way to introduce a friend to F3.
What about our M’s and 2.0s? This trip is for the boys only. It will be a strenuous hike.
What if the weather is terrible that weekend? – We’ll postpone and look for another date.
What is the time commitment? We’ll leave Irmo sometime on Friday 7/31 and return the evening of Sunday, August 2nd.
Where are we going again? Mount Mitchell, see link for Mt. Mitchell State Park below.
Where are we hiking, how many miles, etc.? We’ll update route information later….stay tuned
Why would we want to do this?
It will be a great time and a way to challenge yourself by bagging the tallest peak east of the Mississippi. You’ll get tons of 2nd F hanging out with your best F3 bros and getting to know some new ones as well potentially. It will be a blast!!! Don’t miss out!!
Hope to see you there!
FG and Joanna