Today marks four years to the day that I went over to White Knoll High School early one Saturday morning to do a #sadclown workout. As I made my way towards the track, a couple guys asked if I was there for F3. One thing led to another and, 4 years later, I’m typing up this #backblast while sipping on morning coffee. I fast forwarded over a lot of stuff. If you are reading this, you know what that stuff is. Most of it is intangible – the friendships, the laughs, the sad moments, the knowledge that there is support out there for you if you need it or not, the encouragement to be better men, better followers of God. Then there’s the tangible – the F3 shirts, the blinky lights, the bricks and blocks, the van’s seatbelt in your side when trying to sleep during the BRR, the sweat we leave on the pavement after that last round of Mary. All of this “stuff” is what F3 is about and, for me, it began with a simple question.
We had 17 for bootcamp today. 10 early risers for ~3 miles of StrideLite and 2 for RuckLite. Weather was really great. Music (and unfortunately commercials) were provided by 98.5 FM.
One minute warning, intro, disclaimer, prayer
Mosey halfway around the parking lot (yes halfway threw everyone off a little) and back to the courtyard for some warm-up exercises:
- 12x Michael Phelps IC
- 12x Imperial Walkers IC
- 12x Mtn Climbers IC
- 12x Flutter Kicks IC
Then we each grabbed a block from the pile and lined up along the endzone of the practice field. There were cones setup down the field about 25 yards apart. We went through several iterations of partner exercises.
- Round 1 – P1 advances his block one cone, returns. P2 advances his block one cone, returns. Rinse and repeat until you get to the last cone where you return with your block. When you aren’t running, you do American Hammers OYO.
- Round 2 – P1 Farmer Carries both blocks one cone, returns. P2 Farmer Carries both blocks one cone, returns. When you reach the end, leave the blocks there. When you aren’t on the blocks, you do Big Boy Sit Ups OYO.
- Round 3 – P1 runs to the end and Farmer Carries both blocks one cone, returns. P2 Farmer Carries both blocks one cone, returns. When you aren’t on the blocks, you do Big Boy Sit Ups OYO.
- Round 4 – P1 Overhead Carries his block one cone, returns. P2 Overhead Carries his block one cone, returns. Rinse and repeat until you get to the last cone where you leave your block and return. When you aren’t running, you do Leg Raises OYO.
When everyone caught up, we did…
- Butt Kicks to the next cone – 20x One Armed Bandits (standing, get into a 1 handed plank, stand back up, alternate arms)
- High Knees to the next cone – 20x Squats OYO
- Butt Kicks to the next cone – 20x One Armed Bandits
- High Knees to the last cone – 20x Squats OYO
- To get our blocks back to the starting point, we Block Bear Crawled back to the first cone.
When everyone caught up, we…
- Recovery job back to Cone 5. Then Partner Carried back to Cone 4, Flapjack, Cone 3, Flapjack, Cone 2, Flapjack, Cone 1.
- Recovery job back to Cone 5. Then Partner Wheelbarrowed back to Cone 4, Flapjack, Cone 3, Flapjack, Cone 2, Flapjack, Cone 1.
We returned blocks and met back at the shovel flag for the announcements and prayer.
- Thirsty Thursday tonight
- Saturday’s workout will be located near the track, so park at CAT
- 8/24 – Stomp the Swamp
- 8/24 – Jailbreak Escape
- Labor Day Weekend – Ruck event in Chapin (DriSoket has info)
- 8/30-31 – GoRuck Tough/Light in Columbia
- 9/6-7 – BRR
- Blindside’s daughter
- Glad to see Fieldgoal out there today.
- Thanks for Honey Boo Boo and Chuckwagon stopping by to say hey.
- I wish this was my 5th anniversary, or 6th, or 7th. I mean… I wish I found F3 earlier. One of the best things I’ve done in my life.