Today’s lesson will be all about leg exercises – in particular those PAX often neglect which are crucial to running – hips, glutes, calves, and core with a dose of stability work. Most done in isolation per side.
Why running? That’s my primary. And I’m the Q so we do what I want. As I was (literally) painfully reminded on Saturday at Harbison by rolling my ankle late into a trail run – stabilizers are important! They get tired, you fall!
The essential details:
SLOW MOSEY 1.5X AROUND MEADOWFIELD DRIVEWAY, finish at grassy area by Meadowfield sign. PAX marveled at the illumination provided by the large light pole, which I claimed was installed at my request. Or not.
WARM O RAMA
- WINDMILL x 15 IC
- LBAC F x 15 IC
- LBAC R X15 IC
- IMP WALKERS X 15 IC
- HIGH KICKS L/R X 20 IC
- SQUAT X 20 IC
THE “LUNGE MATRIX” –
This is a routine I do regularly with and without dumb bells for hip stabilization. 6 variations of lunge working around the body like a wheel. Helped me cure an IT band flare up. See video of very intense guy performing it here.
ALL DONE IN 4 COUNT (LEFT 1, RIGHT 3)
- FRONT LUNGE X 10 IC
- FORWARD DIAGONAL LUNGE X 10 IC
- SIDE LUNGE X 10 IC
- REVERSE TWIST LUNGE X 10 IC
- BACKWARDS LUNGE X 10 IC
- CURTSEY LUNGE X 10 IC
- BIRD DOG (TOUCH ELBOW TO KNEE) L/R X10 IC
- PLANKS TO FOREARMS X 15 IC
- DONKEY KICKS L/R X 20 IC
- SIDE LEG RAISE L/R X 20 IC
- SINGLE LEG BRIDGE L/R X 20 IC
LAP AROUND MEADOWFIELD SPEEDWAY TO DRIVEWAY OVERHANG
- SINGLE LEG SQUAT (HOLDING OVERHANG POLE SIT INTO SQUAT) LEFT X 10 IC
- SINGLE LEG SQUAT (HOLDING OVERHANG POLE SIT INTO SQUAT) RIGHT X 10 IC
- SINGLE LEG DEADLIFT, TOUCH THE GROUND LEFT X 10 IC
- SINGLE LEG DEADLIFT, TOUCH THE GROUND RIGHT X 10 IC
By this point balance is losing ground to small muscle fatigue and I’m having a hard time not falling and holding the count
- BALANCE EACH LEG – 30 SECONDS, OPPOSITE LEG LIFTED
- CALF RAISE ON CURB X 20 IC
- STEP UPS ON CURB (DRIVE THE KNEE UP) L/R X 20 IC
- EDIT – two rounds of rolling squat X 1 minute. Everyone get in chair pose then one pax stands up at a time doing a squat which rolls around like “the wave”
LUNGE WALK HALF WAY DOWN DRIVEWAY; PLANK AND WAIT FOR SIX
MOSEY BACK TO COT
No major announcements. D.O.M.S. usually takes about 2 days to set in.
Until next time, if I am ever invited back.